CAT 2016 – The siren for the Common Admission test has already been pressed with the release of the tentative dates for the CAT 2016. It’s not far that the hustle and bustle for India’s toughest entrance test will commence with the application procedure scheduled to start on 26th July 2016. The candidates will be able to fill the Application form for the coveted Indian Institute of Managements (IIMs) and the race will commence. Every year, the number of applicants for the coveted IIMs have increased and so has the cutoffs been sky-rocketing. The slope of cut off to student ration has increased a lot in the previous years and slated for an increase in the coming years too. The following article has been made to give the aspirants of the CAT 2016 an insight about the various information about the CAT 2016. Check it out.
Summary of the CAT 2016
- Name of Examination – Common Admission Test 2016
- Name of the conducting authority – Indian Institute of Management (IIM)
- Participating Institutes: All IIMs as well as other Government MBA colleges
- Type: All India Type
- Level: Post Graduate Level
- Offered Course : MBA, Fellow programs
Detail about the CAT 2016 Examination
The Common Admission Test (CAT) is conducted for admission of able candidates to the Indian Institute of Managements under the Government of India. The CAT score is a marker of excellence on which the candidates are judged for admission into the IIMs. The CAT exam is conducted in the month of November and on the basis of the cutoff percentile, the candidates are called at various IIMs for a group Discussion and Personal Interview section on the basis of which the admission is imparted. The IIMs are independent on that regard and conduct their admission session separately. Admissions to the IIMs means a dream come true.
Tentative Dates for CAT 2016
- Release of notification cum Application form for CAT 2016 – 26th July 2016
- Opening of the Registration window on the website of CAT – from 6th August 2016 to 25th September 2016
- Availability of admit card for CAT 2016 – from 15th October 2016 onwards
- Date of examination – 29th November 2016
- Declaration of CAT 2016 Result – Second week of January 2016
Courses under-taken under CAT 2016
The candidates will be vying for the following courses at the IIMs to be undertaken under the Common Admission Test 2016:
Eligibility criteria for the CAT 2016
The aspiring candidates for the CAT 2016 Examination must have the information about the following eligibility criterions:
- The candidates must have a graduation degree in any discipline from a recognized university under the MHRD.
- Candidates must have secured a minimum of 50% marks in the graduation or equivalent CGPS. The reserve category candidates must secure a minimum of 45% marks.
- The candidates in their final year of graduation are also eligible for participation in the examination provided they qualify the other eligibility criterions.
Process of registration Under the CAT 2016
The candidates aspiring to fill the registration forms must follow the following instructions to fill the Application form easily and conveniently:
- First of all, they need to visit the official website of CAT as and when the application process commences or click on the direct link hosted here on the website. The candidates should fill the form soon after release as it gives them chances for easy selection of examination center.
- First of all, they would be required to pay the Application fee of Rs.1600 upon which an application number would get generated.
- Now to fill the Application form, log in again using that registration number and furnish the details asked in the Application form.
- Submit the Application form after selecting three choice centers as per the center code mentioned there.
- Take a print out of the application form and keep it with you for further usage.
CAT 2016 Application fee
The Application fee for the General Category candidates and the candidates belonging to the OBC Category is Rs.1600 and for all the other categories, it is Rs.800.
CAT 2016 Exam pattern – Changes
The following changes were introduced by the IIMs in the CAT 2015 held in the month of November 2015:
- The timing for the CAT 2016 was increased from a traditional 170 minutes to 180 minutes to give ample timing to the candidates
- The numbers of questions were also reduced and were brought down to 100. Now the Quantitative Aptitude and Verbal & Logical reasoning section consisted of 34 questions each while the Data Interpretation section had 32 questions making it a total of 100 questions. Previously, there used to be two sections only.
- Mostly the questions in the booklet were objective in nature but this time, the answer for some questions had to be typed in the space provided below.
- This was the first time when the candidates used the basic on-screen calculator which was not allowed in earlier times.
- For the first time, the candidates had to complete one section in exact 60 minutes and after that, they would get another section to solve. Once the time gets passed, they cannot go back to the previous section.
- IIM also made available the tutorial for the CAT 2016 Examination prototype and how to fill the Application form also.